Thursday, June 19, 2008

Refraction of Light by 2E4 Zhang Meiting


Download the original attachment
Refraction Of Light
In this blog reflection, I have chosen refraction of light as my topic. In this topic, I have learnt that refraction of light is when the light goes in or out of the glass, it changes direction because the rays bend. One example I have learn is when I put a cup of water on the table with a straw inside, I realise that the straw has cut into half but as when I take the straw out of the cup, again I realise that the straw is still in it original shape and length. And this experiment had showed me that light changes direction when it passes from one transparent material into another.

And in this particular topic, I know that light bends because its speed changes as it moves from 1 transparent material to another. Also, light travels slower in more dense materials than in less dense materials that why light travels slower in glass than in air. So, when a beam of light passes from air into a glass block, it slows down and bends towards the normal but when the beam of light comes out of glass into air, it will bend away from the normal.

From this particular topic, I learn that when the boundary of 2 optical media, there will be a sudden change in the speed of light to bend, resulting in refraction. Since I know that refraction is caused by a change in speed of light, the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection has to be related to this change in speed of light in a medium.

For the effects of refraction I learn so far, a swimming pool appears shallower than it really is. This is because light from an object bends as it comes out of water. But human brain thinks that the light has moved in a straight line. So, the object appears to be at a higher position than it actually is.

The key points of this topic are, light is bend or refracted when it passes from one transparent material into another, such as from air to glass and vice versa. For the refraction I have learn, there are two effects, which are, an object in water appears nearer to the surface than it really is and an object such as a stick placed in water appears to be bent.

All these are found in:
sec2 textbook
sec2 theory workbook
handout
sec4 physics textbook
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/refr.html

No comments: